Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Baby Born Homeless Saved Her Mother's Life

Today I held a tiny baby, outside a temporary shelter in Port-au-Prince. She was born on Saturday, four short days after the earthquake smashed her mother's home into rubble. She was sleeping in my arms silently, peacefully, so contrary to the chaos around her. I couldn't take my eyes off her perfectly formed fingers, gripping my own with extraordinary force. Her mother told me that the little girl had saved her life, before she was even born. When the terrible shaking began, she heard screams of "Get outside, get outside." All she could think about was that her baby was in extreme danger. In a way that only mothers could fully understand, she said that the thought of her daughter gave her the force to jump through falling concrete, out of the building, before it all collapsed in complete destruction. Now they live in a tent, and they are surviving together, one week into this new child's life.

2 comments:

  1. Friend,
    My name is Jaclyn and I am getting into Haiti this weekend around the 30th. Is there a way I can meet up with you and help. I am paying my own way so no worries about that. I work in Africa every year at an HIV orphanage. No matter what I am coming to Haiti, so having said that I would love to find you and help. I have what it takes to do this and I would to meet with someone while I am there. My email is jacralph@gmail.com
    Be safe and thank you for what you do.
    Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monte,
    I listened to your interview on MPR, and you mentioned my sister Lisa Mbele-Mbong. I am in Geneva right now at my parents' house, having brought my sister's son back from the DR where he had been evacuated.
    If you have the time in all your busy work, I would love to communicate more with you, about Lisa and about the work you did together.
    my email is cloakndagger75@gmail.com

    I have really appreciated what you have been saying about Haitians helping themselves with dignity and empowerment. Thank you for continuing my sister's work.
    I wish you all the best--rest, food, and a sense of progress and accomplishment

    ReplyDelete