Friday, January 29, 2010

Faith

I heard someone say that most of the Catholic churches in Port-au-Prince had been destroyed, while all of the Baptist churches remained solid and standing. Disasters of this magnitude throw faith into utter disarray as inevitable questions return each time, based in one simple question, "Why?"

When I first moved through some of the worst-hit areas, in search of an old friend and colleague, I came into earshot of one sound that felt inconsistent with the scenes of off-kilter and smashed buildings and bewildered-looking residents sifting through belongings. It was singing....harmonious, passionate singing....wafting through the din of more typical, harsh post-earthquake sounds. I looked up to locate the source of the musical reverie, and caught a glimpse of a group of Haitians, locked arm-in-arm in a circle of worshippers, spontaneously erupting in song to praise their Lord, swaying back and forth just outside a broken house.

Multiple scenes like this played out throughout Port-au-Prince in the days following the Catastrophe. Electrifying the search for meaning were the time and circumstances of the quake: just about 5pm, right in the middle of rush hour. "I normally left the office at 4:30, but I decided to stay late that day to get a few things done. My house collapsed, but my office was OK." These common stories have rendered a common Haitian greeting especially poignant. How are you? "On est la..." I'm here.

Having served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Nepal in the late 80s, I found and befriended a contingent of Nepali troops who formed part of the UN stabilization forces here. Any reminder of home pleases Nepalis beyond measure, so I when I spoke even a few words of Nepali with them, I was welcomed with open arms. They invited me to my first real meal since arriving (daal bhat! for those who know Nepal). These soldiers had their own story of survival, which affirmed their faith, whatever their personal beliefs. Alas, other country battalions suffered terrible losses among their ranks. But on January 12th at 5pm, all Nepali soldiers in Port-au-Prince were invited to a party in the open space of their camp to celebrate the 105th anniversary of the Sher Battalion. They all lived....and want to believe there is a reason for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment